CONNEAUT PORT AUTHORITY
July 17, 2014
6:30 p.m. 929 Broad Street, Conneaut, Ohio
Meeting was called to order by Chairman Joe Raisian at 6:45 p.m.
PRESENT: Joe Raisian, Luke Gallagher, Bob Best, Bill Cooper, Harbor Master Denver Spieldenner and Babs Legeza
EXCUSED: Wally Dunne and Bruce Fleischmann
A motion was made by Luke Gallagher to approve the June 19, 2014 monthly meeting minutes; second by Bob Best, motion passed.
- Army Corp of Engineers monthly bulletin reports normal lake levels.
- Mike Summers updated the board on the progress of the new web page. He is asking the board for their input on pages. He will update the links page with charter information.
- Terry Berkey and Larry Perady gave a presentation on the Ashtabula Metro Parks, this included maps various parks in Ashtabula County. Voters will vote on a ½ mill levy in the fall.
- Patrick Ernst of the Army Corp of Engineers reviewed the Ohio Submerged Lands Lease Program. He went over the history of the program and answered some questions from various board members.
- Bill Cooper made a motion to approve the June 2014 financials; second was made by Luke Gallagher, motion passed.
- Luke Gallagher made a motion to pay current bills; second by Bill Cooper, motion carried.
Resolved # – 18-14…Bob Best made a motion to excuse Wally Dunne and Bruce Fleischman from the July 19, 2014 monthly board of directors meeting, second was made by Bill Cooper; motion carried
LEASE REPORT: Luke Gallagher
- No Report
- No Report
GRANTS: Bill Cooper
- No Report
ECONOMIC DEVOPEMENT: Joe Raisian
- No Report
DOCKFEST: Joe Raisian
- DockFest committee will on the Pat Williams show Tuesday morning July 22, 2014 at 8:30 a.m.
MAINTANENCE AND PLANING: Bob Best
- No Report
HARBOR MASTER: Denver Spieldenner
- New vinyl windows have been installed. There were problems with the screens but new ones have been ordered. This is a manufacturer issue.
- We need to install two additional electrical circuits for an ice machine and a chest freezer. These will be on the restaurants electric meter.
- New exterior perimeter lighting has been installed.
- We are working with a contractor to cover the overhang on the front of the restaurant. Restaurant expense but we need to approve. Joe has the drawing.
- We reset the toilet and repaired a water valve in the restroom. This appears to have solved our problem of water on the floor.
- We are painting all the water and gas access panels outside. These will be gray with a yellow border to prevent people from tripping over them.
- We are exploring why the electric bill seems to be high for this building.
- We have repaired most of the standoffs on the face of the dock. We hope to have this project finished before D-Day as long as the weather cooperates.
- We have placed a new throw ring and reach pole at the launch ramp floating dock. This was a safety issue.
- We will be re-painting the arrows and some of the striping in the parking lot.
- The new furnace has been hung and we are working on the gas and electric lines to it. This is a fill in job on rainy days when we can’t work outside.
Lagoon Lift Station
- We have ordered a new grinder pump for this lift station. It is stainless steel and matches our other pumps in the other lift stations so all parts are interchangeable. Cost was $2345. The Wastewater Treatment Plant has been pumping this out for us as needed. Many thanks to them for the help.
- The TD-5050 tractor is at Bortnick Tractor for repairs to the air conditioner.
- Our welder is back in service and we have returned the welder we borrowed from Kelly Welding while ours was down.
Decorative Lamp Post
- Still waiting for lamp post to arrive.
- We have had several minor electrical issues that have been repaired.
- Continuing to rake and mow as needed. Many storms lately so we have had to pick up a lot of driftwood.
- We placed an additional five trash cans on the sandbar.
- We hired our cleaning contractor to empty all the cans on the sandbar three times per week when she empties the other cans at the port. This costs us $150 per month. This is to pick up thirteen cans three times per week. If you do the math it is 156 cans per month. About $0.96 per can.
- We had trash all over the place after the Fourth of July fireworks. This is not unusual but we spent approximately 12 man hours cleaning it up.
Channel Marker Buoys
- We received a letter this week informing us it will be at least 8 weeks before our buoys come in. We have been waiting for these since last spring.
- We are working with an engineering firm to give us a quote to do core samples in this area. Core samples are necessary if we apply for a 401 Water Quality Certification permit that we need before we can do any dredging. We should have pricing back next week. The company is Bowser-Morner, Inc. out of Toledo, Ohio.
PCM Marina Laundry
- We ordered a stackable washer/dryer unit for the men’s restroom. It seems the men are using the washer/dryer in the ladies room and this is an issue of privacy. Cost is $1555.24 delivered from Home Depot. Scheduled arrival is July 22, 2014.
13 Jet Ski
LAUNCH RAMP REPORT:
$ 12,869 Collected
- Larry DeGeorge of Security Technologies is going to provide a demonstration using night vision camera for security. Mr. DeGeorge also would like to discuss a future service contract with the port authority.
- Denver Spieldenner complimented and thanked Luke Gallagher for providing “cook-out” lunches on the sandbar for the crew. Mr. Spieldenner stated that it is a good moral boost for employees.
At 9:05p.m. Chairman Joe Raisian called for a motion to go into executive session to discuss potential property acquisition.
Roll call followed:
Bill Cooper, Bob Best, Luke Gallagher, and Joe Raisian
At 9:30 a motion was made to exit executive session; Roll call followed: Bill Cooper, Luke Gallagher, Bob Best and Joe Raisian.
Bill Cooper made a motion to adjourn the meeting 10:00p.m.
The next regular scheduled board meeting will be held Thursday August 21, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. at 929 Broad Street in Conneaut, Ohio.
Joseph Raisian, Chairman
Bruce Fleischmann, Treasurer