CONNEAUT PORT AUTHORITY BOARD MEETING
June 18, 2015 6:30 P.M.
Meeting was called to order by Chairman, Joe Raisian at 6:30 p.m.
PRESENT: Joe Raisian, Denver Spieldenner, Bill Cooper, Wally Dunne, Luke Gallagher, Bob Best,Patrick Arcaro, Bruce Fleischmann, Babs Legeza, and Debbie Vendely.
GUESTS: Nick Church – Conneaut City Council Member, Jim Hockaday – Conneaut City
Manager, and Jim Thompson – Member of the Conneaut Elks Club.
MINUTES: A motion was made to approve the April 16, 2015 meeting minutes by Bruce Fleischmann, seconded by Wally Dunne, motion passed.
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: Jim Thompson, presented on behalf of the Elks Club, the donation of a new water-trash pump to the Conneaut Port Authority to aide in all aspects of maintenance purposes.
Bob Best discussed a meeting he attended with the CDC members held at the Spire Institute in Geneva. Many topics were addressed such as the Conneaut city renovations, lake front trails, and future lake front development for the next five year cycle.
Joe Raisian mentioned that he participated in a meeting with the new Conneaut judge and the two acting public works directors to review the requirements for individuals seeking community service positions in order to pay off outstanding debts.
FINANCIAL REPORT: Wally Dunne
Bruce Fleischmann made a motion to approve the Financial Report from April 2015, seconded by Patrick Arcaro, motion carried.
Wally Dunne made a motion to approve the April 2015 bills, seconded by Bob Best, motion carried.
Patrick Arcaro made a motion to approve the Financial Report from May 2015, seconded by Bruce Fleischmann, motion carried.
Wally Dunne made a motion to approve the May 2015 bills, seconded by Bruce Fleischmann, motion carried.
Resolved # – 07-15… A motion was made by Patrick Arcaro for Luke Gallagher to initiate a refund policy document for customers who ask for a dock refund due to serious illness, seconded by Bill Cooper, motion carried.
Resolved # – 08-15… A motion was made by Wally Dunne to contact the Catamaran owners before the 2016 boating season to let them know that a new storage fee of $150 is going to be in effect for next year, seconded by Bruce Fleischmann, motion carried.
DOCK REPORT: Debbie Vendely
LAGOON CONTRACTS: 193 Rented 5-30-2015
189 Rented 5-30-2014
PCM CONTRACTS: 95 Rented 5-30-2015
95 Rented 5-30-2014
JET SKI CONTRACTS: 10 Rented 5-30-2015
06 Rented 5-30-2014
Debbie conveyed the many complaints from customers regarding the goose feces on the docks. Much discussion from the board members as to various options that may be used to eliminate this problem. Also mentioned were the many people seen feeding the geese.
Debbie asked for further clarification on dock refunds for the slip renters that are seriously ill and unable to keep their dock. Many questions were presented by the board members as to the past policy and how to handle this situation going forward.
A recommendation was made to have a doctor’s written statement in order to issue a refund.
A motion was made by Patrick Arcaro for Luke Gallagher to initiate a refund policy document for customers who ask for a dock refund due to illness, seconded by Bill Cooper, motion carried.
LEASES: Luke Gallagher
Luke spoke to Kyle Smith to get an estimate for the appraisal on our properties regarding the property tax appeal that is currently pending.
MARKETING: Wally Dunne No Report
GRANTS: Bob Best No Report
Jim Hockaday, the new Conneaut City Manager, suggested that the CPA could possibly benefit by meeting with Janice Switzer, who is affiliated with the Ashtabula County Community Planning Services, to discuss the plan about coastal management to obtain extra funding for future economic projects.
Jim also discussed land parcels that were tax foreclosures and sheriff’s sale properties that the CPA might possibly be interested in to promote economic development purposes.
MAINTENANCE AND PLANNING:
Wally Dunne asked to have a work session with David Joyce from the Urban Development Association in order for the CPA to improve upon and brainstorm future projects.
HARBOR MASTER REPORT: Denver Spieldenner
CONNEAUT PORT AUTHORITY
HARBORMASTER REPORT JUNE 2015
- The ceiling tiles in the fuel dock have been replaced and the ceiling grid has been painted. This was done by the employees of the fuel dock with the CPA furnishing the materials for the job.
- We lost quite a few shingles on the maintenance building during the storm last weekend.
- We had DJ Engineering replace the underground electric service to the maintenance building. We had low voltage issues due to poor wiring.
- We still have some weed issues and the lawn at the 929 Broad St. office did not get mowed last week. We have contacted the contractor to correct this situation.
- We have installed five new jet ski docks in the Lagoon. These are on the south end near “B” dock.
- The water level is up about a foot so part of “C” dock is now under water. These are fixed docks. The floating docks are in good shape.
- We have had some dock repair on “B” dock in the PCM marina. Normal wear and tear.
- We are getting quotes from several sources to replace the old fixed docks in the Lagoon along “A” wall with floating docks.
- We are correcting electrical problems in both marinas with the help of DJ Engineering. There are wiring issues and the pedestal lights in PCM need to be overhauled.
- We purchased a metal cutting bandsaw for the Maintenance Department. Cost was approximately $900.
- We are having major issues with the geese and the mess they make. Many of our dock holders are complaining.
- Both of our marinas passed inspection by the Conneaut Health Board.
- We purchased 33 metal railing sections and many misc. parts from the now closed General Electric plant on Maple Ave. These will be used on dock walkways and to guard various areas around the port. Purchase cost was $1,650.
- We are having problems with the gas pumps at the fuel dock. We had them serviced last week and the filters have been changed but we are still having issues. We may need to purchase a new or rebuilt pump in the near future.
Joe Raisian mentioned many aspects of using regrinds versus paving the lagoon drive. There was much discussion from all members in round table fashion.
Wally Dunne stated that $3,000 has been approved for the 2014 D-Day damages that occurred to the ramps last summer.
Denver Spieldenner discussed the many problems and the repairs that need to performed on the security cameras which have not been working properly for some time.
We have been waiting on new parts to be delivered and installed. Currently, we are looking into the cost of updating all the cameras.
Bob Best requested that we either pave or patch the holes behind the dock office from Naylor Road to the public docks. We have had several complaints from customers about the pot holes. Much discussion was generated from everyone.
Jim Hockaday stated that Koski Construction Company was very competitive with their pricing if the CPA needed help with this project.
Joe Raisian stated that the Dock Fest has been cancelled for this year.
Joe also requested a review of our Catamaran storage on the sand bar. The question was raised as to whether the CPA should charge a fee for storing these units during the summer months since we charge for all other watercraft. Much discussion was made and a new fee was agreed upon.
Wally Dunne made a motion to notify all Catamaran owners before the 2016 boating season begins that the CPA will be charging the new storage fee of $150.00, seconded by Bruce Fleischmann, motion passed.
Joe Raisian mentioned that Michael Bartone created a new Facebook page for the Conneaut Port Authority, free of charge.
Joe Raisian made a motion to adjourn the board meeting at approximately 8:30 p.m., seconded by Wally Dunne, all in favor, meeting adjourned.
Joe Raisian, Chairman
Wally Dunne, TreasurerRead More