CONNEAUT PORT AUTHORITY
929 BROAD STREET
CONNEAUT, OHIO 44030
April 18, 2019
Meeting was called to order by Chairman, Wally Dunne, at 6:30 p.m.
PRESENT: Wally Dunne, Bill Kennedy, Babs Legeza, Denver Spieldenner, Patrick Arcaro, Aaron Joslin and Tom Perkoski.
GUESTS: Angel McVoy, City Councilwomen, Kerry Gerdes, Conneaut Boat Club, Brian Hatcher, Star Beacon
MINUTES: A motion was made by Aaron Joslin to accept the minutes from the March 21, 2019 board meeting, seconded by Patrick Arcaro, motion carried.
ABSENTEES: George Peterson. William Kennedy made a motion to excuse George from the meeting and seconded by Wally Dunne. Motion carried.
Wally introduced the new board member, Tom Perkoski, who has worked in many facets of environmental facets during his career. We look forward to having his expertise on the board.
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION: None
CORRESPONDANCE: Wally Dunne
Conneaut Business Expo. It was agreed that the Conneaut Port Authority would attend and be represented by Wally Dunne. Materials would be handed out to promote the Port Authority.
It was noted that the Advertising Committee members are Aaron Joslin and George Peterson and a pamphlet should be created for future use.
Growth Partnership requesting Trustee Contribution. Patrick explained that there are different levels for contributions and suggested that this decision be given to the finance committee to determine how to proceed.
Pilsner Festival is requesting sponsorship of donations. Discussion was suggested that this decision be given to the finance committee to determine how to proceed.
Buccia Vineyard Grand Opening Discussion was made to possibly give out Sandbar day passes.
COMMENTS FROM CHAIR
Changes to the agenda format will take place. Various committees will be created and then each committee will report on the specific tasks assigned to them and those reports will come back at the next board meeting for the board to have a brief discussion and then motions can be made seamlessly and on a timelier basis.
Also, it was noted the need for a work session once a month with the possibility having it the first Thursday of each month. Wally requested the first one on May 2, 2019 to start, then at the May board meeting, determine a recurring date for work sessions moving forward be discussed. Much discussion was had.
Committee Assignments are as follows:
Finance: Chairman, Patrick, Babs as Exofficio member and one other board member to be determined
Lease: Chairman, Bill Kennedy, George Peterson
Grants: Bill Kennedy, George Peterson, Aaron Joslin
Advertising: Aaron Joslin and George Peterson
Policy: Chairman, Bill Kennedy and Patrick Arcaro
Docks and Facilities: Denver Spieldenner, George Peterson
Environmental Compliance: Tom Perkoski, Denver Spieldenner
Committee members do not have to be on the board. Angel McVoy will provide a list of potential candidates.
Bill Kennedy stated that ODNR spoke with Corp of Engineers and stated everything is cleared to move forward with exception of State of PA regarding their consistency letter follow up. ODNR will help with the follow up, so we can move forward without any more delay. Aaron suggested that a legal notice be put in the paper for May 1st for the RFQ for an engineering firm.
FINANCE REPORT: Patrick Arcaro
Notes Payable to the City of Conneaut is approximately $90,000 and should be paid off in three years. Check disbursements were for the pump out system, but that will be reimbursed through a grant, and credit processing fees of $176 and it was questioned if the 3% is meeting the expense of credit card fees. Uniform cost was also reviewed and indicated with new employees cost would be higher. Line 243 will be re-appropriated to Line 255, which will be renamed Fuel Dock Improvement, which is for the appropriation of $25,000 grant money for pump out system and amending Estimated Resources on Line 135 to add $25,000.
Bill Kennedy made a motion to amend budget for Line 255 to read Fuel Dock Improvement $25,0000 and adjust Line 135 Estimated Resources to add $25,000 and seconded by Tom Perkoski. Motion carried.
Patrick Arcaro requested that a motion be made to approve the financial report and Bill Kennedy seconded. Motion carried.
Aaron Joslin made a motion to pay the current bills, seconded by Bill Kennedy, motion carried.
Conneaut Boat Club Submerged Land Lease: Kerry Gerdes, Conneaut Boat Club addressed the ten-year lease noting permanent improvements required of $121,000, however, CBC has made improvements for a total of $221,000 and is requesting consideration to roll the additional $100,000 into the next ten-year lease. Wally assigned this task to the lease committee for review and bring back to the board next month.
Resolved #13-19… A motion was made by Aaron Joslin to accept the minutes from the March 21, 2019 board meeting, seconded by Patrick Arcaro, motion carried.
Resolved #14-19… Bill Kennedy made a motion to excuse George Peterson from meeting and seconded by Wally Dunne. Motion carried.
Resolved #15-19… Bill Kennedy made a motion to amend the budget Line 255 to read Fuel Dock Improvement and adjust Line 135 Estimated Resources to add $25,000, seconded by Tom Perkoski, motion carried.
Resolved #16-19… Patrick Arcaro made a motion to approve the financial report and seconded by Bill Kennedy. Motion carried.
Resolved #17-19… Aaron Joslin made the motion to pay the current bills, seconded Bill Kennedy. Motion carried.
Resolved #18-19… Patrick Arcaro made a motion to approve a 25 cent pay increase for maintenance crew chief and Aaron Joslin seconded it. Motion carried.
Resolved #19-19… Aaron Joslin made a motion to increase the ramp fee one dollar pending approval from ODNR and Bill Kennedy seconded. Motion Carried.
DOCK REPORT: Denver Spieldenner
Docks are renting well. Some dockholders are late in making their final payment, which was due on April 1st, so reminder calls will be made. Twelve docks remain available.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: No Report
HARBORMASTER REPORT: Denver Spieldenner
CONNEAUT PORT AUTHORITY
HARBORMASTER REPORT APRIL 2019
- We are still working on dock repairs in the Lagoon Marina. We should be finished with these repairs by the end of this week.
- We will start repairs in the PCM Marina next week and anticipate a repair time of two to three weeks.
- We have several water lines in both marinas to repair.
- We are getting quotes to replace B dock in the PCM Marina. This would take place this fall after the close of the season.
- We will place all jet ski docks after repairs on boat docks are complete.
- We are having our electrician check all docks to make sure they have working outlets and are safe.
- We have a crew cleaning up rubbish and driftwood in this area. This will take at least one or two more weeks to complete.
- As soon as cleanup is completed, we will place the picnic tables, trash cans, and porta- potties.
- This area is fully staffed.
- Sandbar passes are ready to sell however, Sandbar won’t open until weather permits.
- BUILDING INVENTORY
- Our insurance company (Public Entity Pool of Ohio) will be appraising all our buildings at no charge to us.
- We are still waiting on a quote for asbestos removal at 960 Harbor Street.
- We will have an inspection done on the Welton Road property as soon as it is cleaned up.
- We need roof repairs at 956 and 960 Harbor Street buildings.
- We need to talk about repairs to the workshop siding at Portside Marine. It is rotted and needs replaced.
- RAMP FEES
- Ramp fees may be increased. Waiting on board discussion.
- The Chevrolet pick-up truck quit running. We are having it towed to the repair shop.
- We had the Chevrolet stake body truck tuned up because it was not running right. This cost us over $800.
- We need to start seriously looking for replacement vehicles. One truck is a 1994 and the other is a 1997.
- Both tractors are running well.
- DREDGE PERMIT
- We are still working with the USACE and ODNR to get our dredge permit. We are making some progress.
- We need to replace the hot water heater in the Launch Ramp Office. It is 16 years old and is acting up. It may be causing us to have higher than normal electric bills.
- We had a $2000 electric bill for the Launch Ramp Office and Public Dock lighting. We are working with our electrician to determine the cause. It may be the hot water heater in the ramp office.
- We have had problems with two of our sewer lift stations. These have been corrected.
- We had an inspection of the Breakwall Restaurant by the Conneaut Fire Department. They found several items that need addressed. We are in the process of correcting all items. Nothing major or costly.
- We will be purchasing several loads of asphalt grindings for the Lagoon Road.
Harbormaster Conneaut Port Authority
Wally advised he would like to keep a running agenda to track progress on each item month to month.
Bill reviewed a 25-cent increase for a maintenance crew chief. Denver discussed that he would determine a lead person. Patrick Arcaro made a motion to approve a 25-cent raise and Aaron Joslin seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Bill also reviewed raising the ramp fee one dollar to six dollars. We have approximately 10,000 launches (weather permitting) or as low as 7,500. Aaron Joslin made a motion to raise ramp fee one dollar pending approval by ODNR and seconded by Bill Kennedy. Motion carried.
A Jet Ski RFP is being developed by the Lease Committee as Lockwood Rental lease has been terminated.
Wally mentioned a food truck is requesting a proposed lease, which at the time it is received will go before the lease committee for review.
Bill advised that Larry Distelrath was told by Joe Raisian previously that he could install a 10×12 shed by the Fuel Dock to house supplies. Denver mentioned that a clearance would need to be given for the electrical box on the side. Angel stated that a permit would be required from the city. Discussion was made and it was determined that CPA would require a copy of any permits before moving forward on a decision.
Wally stated that only new business was the ramp increase which was already addressed.
The Chairman of the Board entertained a motion to go into Executive Session at 8:15 pm to discuss property acquisition and personnel.
Bill Kennedy made a motion for Executive Session at 8:15 pm, seconded by Wally Dunne. Motion carried.
Roll Call: Bill Kennedy, Tom Perkoski, Patrick Arcaro, Aaron Joslin, and Wally Dunne.
Aaron Joslin made a motion to come out of Executive Session at 8:34 pm, seconded by Patrick Arcaro. Motion carried.
Regular meeting resumed at 8:35 pm.
The Chairman of the Board entertained a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 p.m.,
moved by George Peterson, seconded by Wally Dunne, meeting adjourned.
The next regularly scheduled board meeting will be held on May 16, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. at 929 Broad Street, Conneaut, Ohio.
Wally Dunne, Chairman
Patrick Arcaro, Treasurer